What Can You Fund?
All Stanford student organizations must follow federal, state and local laws as well as University and ASSU policies. All activities must take into consideration the university's non-profit status and educational mission. Student organization expenses should always be reasonable and appropriate for a voluntary student organization stewarding ASSU and university funds.
- Partisan political activities. Federal tax code prohibits tax exempt organizations from providing financial support for a candidate running for office, including rallies and related activities held on campus.
- Events fronted by off-campus organizations.
- Student salaries. Salaries designed to compensate a leader of a student organization.
- Personal expenses including cell phone, car registrations, traffic tickets and fines.
- Activities beyond the scope of the student organization as approved by the university.
- International travel programs. This includes both travel overseas or guests traveling from outside the U.S.
- Large, capital equipment without ASSU and/or university permission and pre-identified storage.
- Vehicles including cars and golf carts. These require long term financial plans, insurance, designated parking spots and prior university and ASSU approval.
- Alcohol. Alcohol use and reimbursement must follow the university's alcohol policy. Reimbursements for parties must include prior party approval from OAPE.
- Programs with minors. Permitted only when part of the student organization's mission and with prior university approval.
- Programs with overnight guests, with prior university approval only.
- Activities during break and inter-session.
- Payments for services. Students may receive payments (honoraria) from student organizations for the performance of a specific task of a short duration (for example, DJ or photographer) provided that: 1) the service is documented in advance with an invoice and scope of services, 2) the service could be filled by a student or non-student and 3) is not filled by a leader of the sponsoring organization.