Start a New Student Organization
It is our deepest desire to set our student leaders, as well as current and future groups up for success. We remain committed to finding ways to support engagement for all students. You can always find ways to connect with one of our 700+ student organizations here.
- Snehal, OSE Sr. Director
New Voluntary Student Organization Application: Winter 2023
The NVSO application will open again in Winter 2023 in CardinalEngage. There will be not be an Autumn New Voluntary Student Organization cycle. Please refer to this document for information about how to prepare to engage in this process.
Access the New Voluntary Student Organization Application
- New Voluntary Student Organization Winter Applications Open: Week 1 – January 9, 2023
- New Voluntary Student Organization Winter Applications Close: End of Week 4 – February 3, 2023
- New Voluntary Student Organization Winter Phase II Decisions Released: Week 7
- Phase II Completion due by Winter Week 10 – March 17, 2023
New Voluntary Student Organization Process Timeline
- Submit application (before the end of Week 4).
- Application review periods typically last between 2 and 3 weeks (Week 5 - Week 7/8).
- If approved, you will have between 3 and 4 weeks to complete the next steps of the process (around Week 7 - Week 10/end of finals).
- Please note that organizations inactive for a year or more who seek university recognition must re-apply through the new organization application process described here.
Alternatives to Starting a Group
Some ideas don’t easily fit into a student group format and can be best pursued through other avenues.
Application Process & Additional Information
Read the steps in submitting an application along with important notes and suggestions.
Criteria for Approval
The following criteria are considered in approving new student groups. When evaluating new group requests, staff consider the degree to which the proposal meets each of the established criteria. Those proposals that best meet all the criteria listed below will most likely be approved.
Dormant Status and Renewal
What does it mean for an organization to be considered “dormant?"