Any student group sponsoring programs for children or youth (any non-Stanford student under the age of 18), on or off-campus, must consult with and receive prior approval from the university so that California law and university policy are followed. This is true for all programs whether they are planned for a few hours or overnight.
Any student group sponsoring programs for children or youth on or off-campus must consult with, and receive prior approval from, the university (through OSE) due to the considerable responsibility involved. The Haas Center for Public Service must also be consulted prior to the implementation of any tutoring, mentoring or off-campus community service programs. Athletic and recreational groups must also consult with Athletics/Recreation staff.Specifics depend on the type of event and infastructure, but most organizations will likely need to:
- Have an adequte and robost organization that as a history of approved programs and events for youth
- Receive approval to offer youth programs based on their approved organization's mission. See Working with Youth Guidelines.
- Submit a program proposal for programs that your VSO is managing. May need to login to CardinalSync first.
- Submit the event on CardinalSync at least a month in advance. You may not reach out to youth, schools, communities, etc until your event is approved.
- Meet with an OSE advisor for a preliminary review of your plan
- Attend a working with minors traiing, listed on the Working with Youth CardinalSync portal. See the checklist for a breakdown of steps.
- Register the event with the University
- Recruit and train volunteers who are currently active members of your organization (e.g. currently registered students)
- Guarantee a sufficient in number of volunteers in order to maintain a ratios:
- Ensure that all volunteers working directly with youth receive a criminal background check, including fingerprinting
- Use an approved university forms for youth coming to campus, or planning to participate in Stanford sponsored off-campus activities.
- Reigster the event on Eventbrite, capturing relevant information such as minor's name, date of birthday, parent name, and parent contact
Forms and Other Resources: