Student organizations sponsoring youth programs (any non-Stanford student under the age of 18), on/off-campus or as part of an online program, must consult with and receive prior approval from the university (through OSE) to ensure that California law and university policy are followed. This is true for all programs whether they are planned for a few hours or overnight. Summer programs involving minors are not permitted.
The Haas Center for Public Service must also be consulted prior to the implementation of any tutoring, mentoring or off-campus community service programs. Athletic and recreational groups must also consult with Athletics/Recreation staff.
Specifics depend on the type of event, but most organizations will likely need to:
- Be approved by OSE to conduct youth programs based on organization's approved mission and constitution. See Working with Youth Guidelines. You may not reach out to youth, schools, communities, etc until you meet with an OSE advisor.
- If your org is not approved to work with minors, consult with OSE at least 12 weeks in advance.
- If your org is approved to work with minors, register the event at least 8 weeks in advance.
- Meet with an OSE advisor for a preliminary review of your plan. Afterwards, you'll receive a to-do checklist that includes some of the following:
- Register the event with OSE through CardinalEngage.
- Register the event with the University through ePOM.
- Recruit volunteers who are currently active members of your organization (e.g. currently registered students).
- For in-person events, guarantee a sufficient number of volunteers in order to maintain ratios (see table below).
- Virtual programs are exempt from the minimum staffing ratio, though one-on-one interactions are strictly prohibited.
- Complete the working with minors online training for volunteers.
- Ensure that volunteers working directly with youth complete a background check.
- Collect signed liability waivers from participants. Collect medical/emergency contact information for in-person programs.
|PARTICIPANT AGE||NUMBER OF ADULT SUPERVISORS||NUMBER OF OVERNIGHT PARTICIPANTS||NUMBER OF DAY-ONLY PARTICIPANTS|
|6 - 8 years||1||6||8|
|9 - 13 years||1||8||10|
|14 - 17 years||1||10||12|
Forms and Other Resources:
- Guidelines for Online Minors Programs
- Youth Liability Waiver
- Youth Liability Waiver (Spanish)
- Emergency Contact and Medical Information Form (not required for online programs)
- Live Scan FAQs
- Live Scan Application (needed if background check will be done off-campus ; write “Student Service Org” in “Working Title” spot)
- Youth Participants Roster Template
- Program Staff Roster Template
- Working With Minors Training Slide Deck